Tuesday, July 2, 2013

New Beginnings...FINALLY!

So I finally got a teaching job in another district! I’m ecstatic to say goodbye and overjoyed about my new opportunity. For several years I've been fortunate to have an illustrious teaching career in one of the most interesting neighborhoods in Fort Worth :-)
Interesting like...students coming to school with active scabies (ewww)...parents who sport blue hair (on purpose)...colleagues who utter things like BRUNG and AGREEANCE...precious children named Righteousness, Disney, and King Solomon...well, you get the picture. It was not a cake walk by far, but there was never, ever, EVER a dull moment.
It was somewhat simple to teach in a such a poor environment too. Before I continue, let me explain that I mean far more than financially poor. I mean poor in regard to overall quality...quality of life, education, standards, expectations, and schools. My colleagues will probably argue that most of us had our students' best interest at heart 100% of the time, but that's 100% false. And no, I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for the environment I was immersed in.
Let me explain why I said it was simple...it was because expectations are low, I'm talking bottom of the ocean low! "Girl these kids can't learn that...they don't want to be here!" I often felt pity for young vibrant teachers (sometimes I was in that number) because their ideas were stifled and mocked by the veterans and even by the students themselves at times. Another thing was that when I or another teacher had innovative teaching methods, we became fodder for the entire learning community and people in suits start visiting our classrooms...the result being that you do less teaching and more "Dog and Pony Show" preparation. It was like energetic and engaging instruction was a novel idea.
I always tried to rise above the environment, but there were days when all I could do was survive. It's very uncomfortable when you’re trying to be productive in a black hole that has an insatiable appetite for your energy and creativity. Simply put, it has been way past the time for me to move on.
I'm not moving to Utopia ISD and I would never want to, but the pastures are greener and I'm already feeling refreshed. I feel my like my brain is no longer paused and my feet are no longer stuck in the mud.
To be completely fair, I have some colleagues who are great educators and who genuinely love learning and imparting that desire to children. Teaching is painstakingly important and tiring work, but it is so worth it when you see the light bulb turn on in just one of your students!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely feel your pain. Working in education, especially in struggling districts is one of the hardest jobs out there. Unfortunately for the kids in the area you left, the people that care about them either don't last or don't count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Shawn! Leaving was bittersweet, to say the least!

      Delete